A Front-End UI Web Developer/Engineer based in The Triangle, NC.
I'M NICK LUSK
I am an experienced Front-End Web Developer based in the Raleigh, NC area
I have worked for a very diverse set of companies in a wide range of industries and sizes. As a futurist, I have specialized in building stylish, modern websites. My passion is digital UI & UX that users can immediately understand and that produce meaningful interactions. I was also Belkie Bear in Hilton Head, SC back in 1988.
978 233 0867
This list has been curated to increase audience engagement.
HTML4 / HTML5
CSS / CSS3
XML / XSLT / XPATH
WordPress / PHP
jQuery / AJAX
Sass / LESS
React / Redux
JSP / JSF
SVN / Git
BASH / UNIX
During the time when the internet was still new, I bought a book on HTML from a popular online bookseller, and in a few short months I was working for a power and gas utility conglomerate building all their external websites. Able to apply my skills to multiple industries I have also worked for a cell phone entity, a 24-hour cable news network, a network security firm, a large automotive media company, a large financial services firm, a giant software company, and the pharmacy management software division of a healthcare robotics corporation.
On the job my focus is to be collaborative by nature, conscientious, volunteer-minded, and biased towards action. I am also a vocal advocate for the importance of aesthetics, a technologist, a futurist, and more. Much of my success comes from two abilities, an attention to detail, and the drive to follow through with things. Most recently I have expanded my skillset to include people management and having a direct report.
I was once nominated for an Emmy, and I hold a bachelor's degree in journalism from the University of Georgia. I keep my skills up-to-date by regularly taking online classes and paying attention to trends. My preference is to work for an employer several years, mainly to maximize the return on institutional knowledge acquired over time.
Skills & TechnologiesRESTful API, Agile/Scrum, Docker, SQL, CouchDB, User Experience (UX), Design Thinking, User-Interface (UI), Usability, Continuous Improvement, Progressive Enhancement, Front-End Web Design, Front-End Web Development, Agile Development, Agile Software, Version Control with SVN & Git
Software Applications & SuitesIDE | IntelliJ, RubyMine, WebStorm, RStudio, VS Code, Atom, Notepad++
Agile | Atlassian (JIRA, Confluence, Trello, BitBucket, Fisheye, Crucible), Team Foundation Server, Version One
Analytics | Google Analytics, Eloqua, Adobe Experience Cloud (Omniture/Catalyst)
Operating Systems | Windows, UNIX, Linux, OS/X
Additional | Postman, Adobe Creative Cloud, GIMP, Terminal and GitHub Enterprise
AVANADE, Raleigh, North Carolina | June 2021 – January 2023
Senior Front-End Developer/Software Engineer
- Populated and configured the foundation of react application and wrote all corresponding documentation. Additional technologies used: TypeScript, SASS, ESlint, Stylelint, Prettier, React Testing Library/JEST, and Git
- Built custom, bespoke data dashboards for CFOs at a large financial firm. Used Plotly for the graphing engine, hand-coded everything else, and handled all the design work. Since I was on a team of one for this project I also created and wrote all documentation
- Assisted in building Tableau charts from client-supplied Excel files
- Helped with QA on a troubled project, fixing coding standards issues, bugs, and performance issues
- Tasked with resolving several errors that an energy company was experiencing when pulling EPA data into their Azure Data Factory instance. Found syntax errors and reported to source to fix
- Worked on internal Power BI application
Gap Year/Pandemic, Rolesville, North Carolina | March 2019 – May 2021
- I took some time off. During that time, I did the things it can be hard to find the time to do like spending extra time with my family, building a little free library, teaching myself to garden, building a guitar, or volunteering
Omnicell, INC. (formerly Ateb, Inc.), Raleigh, North Carolina | July 2017 – March 2019
Software Engineer III
- Worked on web-based software created with Ruby and HAML
- Involved in creation and maintenance of front-end, both functional and aesthetic
- Identified and refactored user interface elements that could be modularized
- Proposed and created first ever style guide defining use of fonts, colors and other visual elements
- Established linting process for CSS using Stylelint and extracted all inline CSS from template files
- Volunteer Fire Marshall, Cultural Award Committee judge and member of Productivity Team
- Created and maintained Visio diagram of software architecture
- Worked with security team to resolve all items of concern found via penetration testing and according to OWASP standards
- Participated in company-wide hackathon, creating UI for my team's project as well as shooting and editing our video submission
- Built repository of IDE settings for engineering team and wrote extensive documentation on the tools and plugins we had integrated with our IDEs and how they were used
- Local development done using Docker
- Maintained HIPAA compliance by generating fake customer data for development and QA testing
Cox Automotive Inc., Dunwoody, Georgia | June 8th 2015 - March 31st 2017
Senior User Interface Developer
- Contracted by Strive Consulting
- Helped build current version of KBB/AutoTrader Instant Cash Offer application.
- Assisted in rebuilding Instant Cash Offer application with ReactJS, ES6, Redux, Bootstrap, and SASS.
- Used new ES6 iterables to maximize reusable code.
- Used React Router to navigate within application and manipulate browser history.
- Built components for user to input, view and edit data to be sent and returned from API.
- Communicated with API via GET, POST and PATCH protocols.
- Used PATCH protocol to make partial updates to API.
- Resolved all errors and warnings generated by ESLint.
- Error handling for status codes from server and try/catch blocks.
- Experience with NPM and node.js.
- Part of a team in a Scrum-based, agile environment.
- Migrated from SVN to GitHub Enterprise and trunk-based development.
Dell SecureWorks, Atlanta, Georgia | July 9th 2012 - May 2015
- Responsible for all duties associated with the roles of Web Developer and Webmaster.
- Use both Google and Adobe analytics platforms to deliver reporting and data analysis.
- Create custom data visualizations using D3JS, R programming and manual API calls.
- Light graphic design work to fill gaps due to absence of a staff designer.
- Maintain and update template architecture using JSP and Java.
- Nominated for Employee of the Month and recognized by Dell Services as an Everyday Hero in November 2012.
- Reduced average site load time by 50% via extensive optimizations.
- Migrated binary content to a CDN.
- Implemented variety of improvements to enhance SEO.
- Administered Alterian CMS software and Wordpress installation.
- Built RSS syndication and XML sitemaps.
- Coordinated the design and deployment of a development environment for production website.
- Developed forms and SEM landers for Eloqua marketing platform.
- Upgraded blog content to custom Wordpress installation.
- Wrote extensive documentation of all web processes and platforms.
- Built and launched multiple international, foreign language websites.
- Deployed HTML5 template refresh around existing content and redesigned homepage to align site design with parent company.
CNN.com, Atlanta, Georgia | 2006-2012
- Create and maintain all static HTML pages, update site-wide CSS files as well as template and server-side include files pulled into CMS.
- Work directly with editorial staff loading and maintaining site content.
- Emmy nominated for work on Mauritania: Slavery's Last Stronghold.
- Build and update stories manually and via CMS tools.
- Train new hires on methods and procedures.
- Update documentation to reflect changes in Web site construction.
- Crop images from wire services for use in various content formats.
- Sift wire stories for editorial staff, as well as building occasional interactives.
- Troubleshoot technical issues for editorial staff and report site errors sent from viewers.
- Act as liaison between editorial staff and Network Operations Center during technical outages.
- Assisted in creating and maintaining our VIP Wordpress platform using PHP.
- Created custom post types, page templates, control panel functions, shortcodes and widgets for Wordpress templates.
- Customized tweet functionality on blogs using Twitter API.
- Developed for CMS using Freemarker and CouchDB.
- Created and edited content feeds via XSLT-driven syndication system.
- Tested integration of Wordpress hosted RSS data into our Newspulse system via SQL queries.
Southern Company (Contracted by both Aquent and CCCi), Atlanta, Georgia |
Web Publishing Specialist/Webmaster
- Update and maintain content for all seven corporate external websites under Southern Company umbrella including southerncompany.com, georgiapower.com, mississippipower.com, and southernlinc.com.
- Assist intranet team when needed.
- Build, maintain and troubleshoot UI templates for all application vendors and outside clients.
- Compile all traffic data by operating company and domain using Adobe Omniture/SiteCatalyst.
- Enforce style guidelines and consult with clients on the best way to present their content in accordance with Southern Company corporate standards.
- Assist in composing Web copy.
PanAmSat (Currently known as Intelsat), Atlanta, Georgia | 1998-2000
Global Scheduling Coordinator
- Responsible for the distribution of international satellite-delivered broadcast video programming via PanAmSat's global network of domestic and international geostationary satellites and Earth stations.
- Coordinate satellite news gathering (SNG) applications for major international news agencies, including BBC, CNN, NHK, FOX and Reuters.
- Organize the international distribution of sporting events such as the NBA, NFL, Major League Baseball and World Cup Soccer to cable systems, networks, other redistribution sources and TV households worldwide.
- Provide client pre-transmission consulting and solutions for ad hoc video distribution, utilizing terrestrial fiber optic networks (VYVX) and compressed digital applications such as Multi-Channel per Carrier (MCPC) or Single Carrier per Channel (SCPC).
- Track volume and frequency of phone calls in and out of the scheduling department by extension and time of day for purposes of monitoring work flow and efficiency of scheduled coordinators.
JWT S.C. (Currently known as JWT Inside, contracted by AD Temps), Atlanta, Georgia |
- Handle trafficking of all standard cost ads
- Act as liaison between account services and production
- Close and file all standard cost jobs
- Ship and track all packages leaving agency
University of Georgia, Bachelor of Arts, Major in Telecommunications, Minor in Drama, June 1997
Georgia Institute of Technology, Chemistry, August 1992 to June 1993
HIGHLIGHTS & AWARDS
Anything worth doing is worth doing well
EMMY NominationI was nominated for my work on "Mauritania: Slavery's Last Stronghold" which was published on CNN.com.
Alex ChiltonI wrote an article about Alex Chilton when he died. He was wildly influential among people who played in rock bands.
RPubsI completed a data science specialization at Coursera developed by Johns Hopkins. Several of my projects can be found on my RPubs page. To be able to combine my love of data with front-end web development would be amazing.
Blackbird RecordsIn college I started my own record label. I released a single on 45 and a full-length album on cassette.
Played on two albumsI played on a The Replacements tribute album for charity. Our song would become the only recording of the band Napoleon Dynamite. Blackbird Records artist The Stonesouls also appeared. It was released independently in Athens, Georgia and was listed in an issue of Rolling Stone. I also recorded a full-length album with my band Supergenius that was never released due to the band breaking up.
Album ProducerI produced an album for the South Carolina band Why Six Days. It was never officially released.
Highly Effected, LLCCurrently attempting to start my own guitar effect pedal company. A working prototype for the first pedal exists though I am still experimenting with the circuit. Production will be small scale as I just want this to be a fun thing to do on the side. Preview progress at https://highlyeffected.com/
Employee of the Month
As hurricane Sandy started to knock out power all over New York, our ISP assured us they had three
days of emergency power. My system administrator and I had bad feelings about all of it. Already home
for the weekend, we managed to get the disaster recovery site on the other side of the country up and
running, fast. The basement of our ISP flooded less than an hour later taking them offline for two
weeks. That got us a nomination and a tad more respect.
Dell Everyday HeroI was also given this award for the work done during Hurricane Sandy.
Greenie AwardA SecureWorks award given from one coworker to another for being helpful and going above and beyond. Recipients were given a green foam stress reliever. Sadly, mine went missing years ago.
Nick is extremely hard-working, calm, knowledgeable and flexible. He had good relationships with everyone in the newsroom and was an invaluable resource for the whole team.
Katherine DillingerCopy Editor at CNN.com
Having worked with Nick for over half a decade, I believe I can speak well to his character. He has both an attention to detail and a drive to follow through with things, two skills that are priceless in today's fast-moving business world. But what perhaps has impressed me the most is his pursuit of a continued education, translating into a continuous growth of his developer skills.
Michael BotelhoLead Software Developer
Nick is a very knowledgeable and resourceful web developer with deep technical skills. He can troubleshoot and resolve potential issues before they impact web performance. He is passionate about his work and continually looks for ways to make improvements.
Julie PreissVice President of Marketing at Damballa, Inc.
Nick is a creative and enthusiastic developer who thrives on discovering new ideas and solutions. His passion and out-of-the-box thinking make him unique and valuable on a software development team. The UI work I’ve seen him do is imaginative, intuitive, and attractive. He is a diligent worker who will pour all he’s got into a project to make it the best it can be. Nick is no run-of-the-mill developer - he brings a fresh perspective to any development project.
Carrie O'BrienSoftware Developer
Nick is not only a precise and reliable expert but also has ingenious web programming skills with an eye for detail. Through the various projects we’ve worked on together, he consistently impressed me with his detailed and quick problem solving skills, always thinking of the best way to construct the system for both present and future scalability. He is very innovative and always looking for new solutions and fresh ideas that can advance his knowledge of data to exceed what you would expect of him. Nick has a passion for data and always seems to have a great awareness of new data strategies and technology, which makes him a great asset to any company.
Michelle DavisSr. Web Design Analyst at Dell SecureWorks
Nick was a pleasure to work with at CNN.com. His passion for the job shined in his work and ability to handle the demands of the position. I could always count on Nick to be a true team player, find ways to exceed expectations and be there when duty calls. It's a pleasure to endorse him and I would certainly be honored to have him as part of my team again.
Michelle LeSenior Project Manager at Razorfish
Not always about UI and front-end programming.